Monday, September 9, 2013

My First Official Case of Censorship


The image above is called "Let me Know the Struggle Ends." I entered it in an online art competiton on the Facebook page of Fawn Review Magazine, in  an open competition for any and all comers. I posted the link on my personal Facebook page asking my friends to share and "like." The image recieved several "likes" and after being posted for around two hours was deleted by Facebook and removed from the competition. I was informed in a very polite e-mail from the editor of Fawn Review of this occurance and invited to submit another image. This is not Fawn Review's fault, but Facebook's or someone who took offense to this image. It is censorship. I have been censored. By Facebook. Had this image been the other way round, with the male figure on bottum, bare chested and the female on top, breast obscured, would it be such a "problem"? I don't know, I can't answer that.
 But there it is: My first official case of censorship. And a friend of mine once told me, you aren't really a real Artist until you have been censored. So, the question is; How do I add this to my resume?

No comments:

Post a Comment